Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Religion Dying?

So I was watching TV, looking at the super bowl highlights, for some reason I was watching Fox (dunno why) When they did this news story about how some churches in the states decided that there were going to be too few people coming to mass on superbowl sunday, so they shut the church down that week. That's great, that means that society's views are starting to overrule religion. Just great.

Now, i'm not a church goer myself, don't exactly believe in it, because I believe that god is everywhere, and with you 24/7. I believe that mass isn't completely bad myself tho, it's just I don't think that praying once a week will somehow make you "righteous" or "utterly holy". Having the belief when you're in your darkest hour and looking to god when you have nowhere else to look is the true believing.

Church has become an excuse to sin. Plain and simple.

5 Comments:

Blogger Infinigeist said...

It's true that most people find God in their darkest hours (so conveniently too!).

I find God in all my hours.

I see the church as a representation of religion. I could hardly imagine there being Christianity in such force if it was composed only of people who went about their lives with no congregation.

And what is this sin you speak of? Would you not have to subscribe to the idea of sin as part and parcel of the religious apparatus in the first place? Would the church, as a representation of religion itself, then become the cause of sin, rather than an excuse for it?

I am not a sinner. It's a personal decision I've made.

4:48 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Church is surely not my excuse to sin, I do not believe that going to Church excuses me from anything. I go as my offering to God.
I find God everywhere, like he promised, in everything I find him, I NEVER think that I can only find him in Church and don't know anyone who does think that way.

Patrick,
There are many good Christians who attend Church.

6:55 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

The greatest reason I find for going to church is being able to fellowship with other believers. Even if we do not all think alike and believe EXACTLY the same thing it is so much easier to get through difficult times when you have people to stand by you and pray for you. A church is supposed to be a group of people with the same goal, to give glory and honor to God. At least that's my opinion. The Bible tells us "not to forsake the assembling of ourselves together." We are stronger in number. If Christians band together and fight for what they believe then things like "In God We Trust" wouldn't be taken out of American schools and we'd still have the right to display the ten commandments. I suppose these things are just examples of how weak the church has become.

7:46 AM

 
Blogger Infinigeist said...

Carmel, with regards to good Christians attending church, that's.. umm, nice?


Kristie Sue, I think it's a very good thing that the trappings of American society are more representative of that society now.

12:06 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

well you Patrick said that you cannot imagine there being Christianity in such force (Church) so what i was trying to say by that is that there indeed is Christianity in such force. That's all.
When good people go to Church, to offer their time to God, to learn from others etc, it's genuine.
Sure some people go for the wrong reasons, some leaders are complete asses, but that's in every business, in every setting, you get the good the bad and the ugly.
capice?

10:49 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home